Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Wireless Adapter for iMac

Yes, my subject line contains the word iMac. I am not a Mac type of person but my curiosity has driven me to it.

My brother and his wife recently purchased a new Dell (Yes! Another conversion to the PC) and they had their old iMac (OS 8.6) sitting around. He offered it to me and I just couldn't resist. I spend most of my time using Windows. I have tinkered with Linux a bit but just don't have the time to really get into it. Which is funny since I consider myself a notch above the average user, so if you think the average user can get a copy of it installed and running properly in the same amount of time as a Windows OS well then you're only kidding yourself. Again, another blog for another day!

I really have never gotten into the Mac OS world. I figure this is as good of a time as ever. I have the iMac and a buddy of mine is giving me a DorkLink wireless adapter that he wasn't using and had lying around. I certainly don't want to put any money into it, which is hard considering everything I have research on the Mac cost way more then anything you can get for the PC. I am even having a hard time finding a mp3 player, comparable to Winamp, for free.

The wireless adapter should be arriving today. I am excited to get it hooked up so that I can really start using and abusing the OS 8.6 environment.

Key goals:
  1. Get the adapter to recognize my default gateway and thus, out to the internet
  2. Communicate with our printer
  3. Communicate with a W2K box
  4. Communicate with a WinXP box
  5. Install some sort of remoting software like VNC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home